Next we hiked up through the ritzy neighborhood of Gracia to Tibidabo. Tibidabo is the highest point in Barcelona. A cathedral was constructed on top of the hill around 1900 and can be seen from almost everywhere in the city. Had it been a clear day, we would have had an amazing view.

Then it was onto the MNAC (Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya) for the “Font Magica”. The Magic Fountain only has “shows” on the weekends and has been turned off until last weekend. We are huge fans of the water show at Bellagio so we were a little nervous. But it was awesome! Think the Bellagio plus tons of different colored lights, a gorgeous palace with spotlights shining all around it as the backdrop to the fountain, and all your favorite Disney tunes in Spanish blaring as each burst of water goes up. I know… I told you it was awesome! Then we took Jane to get dinner at one of our favorite places. Mainly it is my favorite because they have crepes with Nutella and bananas like I used to get in Paris. Too bad they did not have batter that night. Don’t worry though, Jane got to go out with a bang and get a crepe on her last night here.

On Sunday, before Sacrament meeting, we walked around another very well known modernista building, Hospital de la Santa Creu i de Sant Pau. Crazy name I know. The building is equally as crazy I promise. It looks more like a college campus with lots of different buildings spread out over the campus. All the buildings are connected by underground tunnels.


After church Jane went the to Picasso museum. These are pictures from when we went a while ago.


We were able to catch a musical performance at the Palau de la Musica. Just to take a tour of the building costs 10 Euro, but we found concert tickets for 8 Euro. We gave ourselves a tour and got to enjoy some great classical music. Well worth the money. The stained glass windows and all the other details were amazing. Don’t worry that you are not allowed to take pictures inside. We definitely got yelled at a few times for these. That is when you play up the ignorant American face.

Jane got to try some of the local fare. We are eating “pan con tomate”. It is basically bread that they rub a tomato on to saturate the bread. Then do the same thing with a clove of garlic, drizzle some olive oil on it and you are good to go. It's pretty tasty.

We spent one morning traveling out to Montserrat to see the monastery that was built on the mountain peaks. It has been the major pilgrimage sight for Catalan Catholics for over a thousand years. How they made it up the mountain without the tram a thousand years ago is beyond me.



There are tons of hiking trails around the mountain. We hiked down to the Sacred Cave where, legend has it, the “Black Virgin” statue was found by young shepherds in the 12th century. Our info guide told us about how long it was supposed to take for each hike and Scott was really excited about us making it in less time. Hence why I look so sweaty and exhausted.


A trip to Barcelona wouldn’t be complete without visiting the city’s most recognizable and most famous landmark, La Sagrada Familia, designed by Gaudí. This monumental project was begun in 1882 and is scheduled for completion in 2020.


This is one of Gaudi’s most famous works, the Pedrera (Casa Milá). The audio tour was great and we learned so much about the architect. It was kind of Guadí overload though since we had already spent THREE hours at the Sagrada Familia. You feel like you have to spend that much time there though because they charge an arm and a leg to get inside!


So I hope after looking at all these fun things we take our guests to do you are wishing you had your trips planned! J Thanks again Jane for letting us be you tour guides. Oh, and a huge extra shout out to Jane for all the American goodies she brought us. Why they don’t have maple syrup, ranch dressing, and good peanut butter here? I will never know.





10 comments:
WOW WOW WOW!! I want to come!!! How fun and what a great friend of Jane to come out and see you. By the way I like Scott's hair!! Love you both so much, talk to you soon,
Shelb.
Wow! I'm learning so much from your adventures around Spain! I've heard about the bread saturated with tomato and garlic cause my dave raves about it. So simple yet so good! Your pictures are beautiful! Miss you SO much!
So Amazing! I want to be your visitor! How fun that Jane got to go, just like old times!
How fun that Jane got to visit- very nostalgic I'm sure! Hope everything is going well with the living situation....I'm sure you are just out on the go all day long. Have you traveled out of Barcelona at all?
Man... if only I had $500 to just go out and see you. I don't think Ethan would handle the trip very well, but I would love to go back to Europe and have you as a tour guide. Why does Jane get to have all the fun?!? I love all the things you guys are doing. No regrets right? You can't just stay home and watch movies this time around.
Amazing things you are seeing.....I don't know what half of them are, but nonetheless, coolness! Wish I was as cultured as you!:) Glad you had a friend to show around, sure looks like fun!
Hey, how about you take that word verification thing off....it took my like three times to post my comment...I must be blind!:)
Congrats you guys! I knew Scott would get in. Did you end up emailing any professors?
We are totally jealous of your Spain days and had such a blast there, in fact, we are thinking of going back on our way home this summer (just barely planting the idea). We could do some fun traveling together, Mike says Portugal is wonderful! How long will you be there?
Kirby, I'm impressed with your vast knowlegdge of your temporary homeland!!! And your ability to spell everything! (Of course I have NO clue if you're spelling it all correctly!)
I'm just in AWWWWW of your wonderful adventures and how the two of you take FULL ADVANTAGE of what LIFE has to offer!
I love Scott's hair! Tanner is talking about doing it. He's a little worried he has too much forehead. I'll have to show him Scott's pictures. HUGS to both of you!
This makes me miss being roomies with you in Paris--how fun to have Jane come visit though! I wish I could come see you too.
Post a Comment