Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Home Sweet Home!!

We are both back in Tempe together...Finally!! I drove out from Florida about three weeks ago. That's right, you read correctly. I drove by myself from Tallahassee to Phoenix! I was pretty nervous about this experience as you might guess, but was pleasantly surprised with how smooth things went. I made some mixed CD's and uploaded "The Time Traveler's Wife" onto my I-Pod so I was good to go. With stops in Dallas and El Paso I was able to break the trip up a little and made it across the country in three days... not too shabby!

Since being back I have been staying with friends and working on this gem of a home. We had done a little house hunting this summer, looking mostly for newer more updated homes so we would not have a lot of work to do. Somehow I think we got a little sidetracked because we ended up buying the biggest "fixer-upper" ever! Scott was sold as soon as we walked into this stinky, dirty, not even close to being updated townhouse. I think I was in shock or something because before I knew it I was calling the realtor to put in an offer...What?!

Original kitchen...And demolishing it!! A little shout out to David, I could not have gotten all those cabinets out without him. I think he really enjoyed knocking the heck out of those things!
After three inspections (I was SURE there had to be something majorly wrong with it that would keep us from buying it) it passed with flying colors, Awesome! After only a few minor breakdowns, and with the help of a few friends I will forever be indebted to, I got our house gutted. Unfortunately that turned out to be the easy part. It is putting it back together and choosing what to put back into it that is hard. Oh, and that fact that we are only planning on living there for a few years, a "flip" if you will, so we are on a tight budget. Luckily, I am a pretty mean budget shopper. I will say, though, that I was pretty naive with my initial divvying up of the budget. Let's just say I have learned a lot! So if anyone needs help scrapping popcorn ceilings or ripping out carpet and cabinets...I am your girl!

Gotta love the 70's mirrored wall. And of course the ceilings... Getting that laminate flooring up was SUCH a nightmare!!
Now we are at the mercy of our painters, who are a little behind schedule...super awesome! So I am headed to Salt Lake and Idaho for some much needed R&R. Scott gave up his seat on the way home from Florida and got a free ticket! After seeing that the painters were going to be behind, and seeing my reaction to this news...Scott decided to surprise me and book a ticket. Is he the greatest or what?! So I will be on a little house hiatus for a week, but will hopefully have some great pictures of progress to share by the time I get home. I will keep you posted!

Front entryway, Amazing tile, and lots of baseboard and carpet tack strip ripping up.

Awesome outlet covers and half bath downstairs...
There is a little taste for you. I can't wait until we get everything done!

12 comments:

Ryan Smart said...

Good job Scott it must have been so much work for you. I'm sure Kirby was just out shopping and not helping at all ;)

I don't know why you would update it. I think the turquoise cabinets are coming back. I'm excited to see the "flip". We'll come out for a visit as soon as you have a floor.

RSP said...

Oh my gosh, I am so jealous! I love doing work like that! It's a little more stressful when you're trying to move in... but still fun. That's a much bigger project than I've ever tackled, though. If you need help PLEASE call me. It sounds like fun. Especially if you need help with the shopping part!!
So, I am headed to Utah and Idaho as well, but get back around Sept 1. Let's hang out? Finally, maybe?

Rae said...

Kirby, I am so excited to see more!

Kimberley said...

That's awesome! What an exciting undertaking, I'm sure that it will look amazing! But I admit that I am surprised and impressed that you two of all people bought a house- that sounds way too committal for the nomadic Fish...

Erica said...

I am glad you posted these so everyone can see how crazy you are! Just kidding! I am very impressed! I can't wait to see the end! This looks a little different than the place you were renting. I think I like this layout more. Have fun on your trip and we need to dicuss coming out there!

Mikelle said...

Hey girl, I am feeling your pain. House projects always seem like such a good idea until you get started and your in too deep! Looks like you have made some serious progress and I'm sure it'll be adorable when your done... if you make it! JK have fun visiting your fam, you deserve it!

Bridget said...

Oh my gosh you have been super busy! Now I don't feel as bad for not calling you cause you probably wouldn't have been by your phone to answer it! I hope everything goes without delay or heartache at this point because remodeling a house can be super stressful! I'm in the process of setting up my classroom and its a SLOW process at that! I start work on Monday. Miss you tons and tons!

Amanda said...

That kitchen was A-MA-ZING! When you're done, you can start to host your own HGTV show in Tempe/Phoenix since they won't come out there to help you.

And excuse me? Why did you get to go to Utah just a week shy of when I was out there?!?! It's been over a year since I've seen you! Will you at least be coming east for Christmas this year?

Brittany Simmons said...

Wow- you were quite the busy little bee! I am a little jealous- that's so fun! You definitely need a little R&R and I'm sure you can't wait to see the 'after' also! Call me- your number got erased...again...I hate my phones!

Georgia said...

Kirby! You are the Champion!! Won't you LOVE the finished product!!

Heather said...

how exciting! i can't wait to see what you guys do with it! i always thought it would be fun to have a "fixer-upper," but after seeing your pictures i am not so sure! good luck and enjoy your
r&r!

Krista said...

WOW, Kirby that's A LOT of work. You're amazing!!! You'll have so much pride in your home with how much work you've put into it!!! Can't wait for the next set of pics to see the progress. Enjoy your visits and your FAM! Love you!