Wednesday, February 2, 2011

One Week Ago...


Beckett Scott Fish was born
January 27th
12:15 am

We began our adventure to get our little boy here last Wednesday. I should have posted something on here sooner..but I have been a little busy. :)
It's going to be a long post, so I won't be offended if you just skip to the pictures!

I had an ultrasound and regular doctor's appointment last Tuesday. At my ultrasound they estimated him at weighing 9 pounds even...that's right NINE pounds, at a week and two days out. When I went to see my doctor later that day she informed me that ultrasounds can be very off and not to get too worried about it. She did however say that just to be safe they could induce me on Friday, January 28th if I had not gone on my own before then ( I was dilated to a 2). Yippee, I thought. I have a countdown and at least I knew when I was going to have him. I called my mom to have her change her flight, went home and finished packing my hospital bag, and made a list of all the things I wanted to finish up in the next few days.

Wednesday morning I got ready for work as usual (Thursday was supposed to be my last day). In the morning I had a few signs of labor ie: mucus plug...awesome, and some contractions. Nothing to be worried about but I threw my toiletry bag into the hospital bag just in case. Once I got to work some of the ladies I work with were asking me how I was feeling, and if there were any new signs...they have been obsessed and constantly worrying about me and the baby. They were good mother hens, and they were convinced that my water was leaking or had broken and that I needed to call the doctor. After talking to the nurse at around 10 o'clock, she too felt like I needed to head to the hospital. So I frantically tried to finish some things up at work, still not having major contractions and thinking everyone was being a little silly, and resolved that I would go to the hospital around one. Well, ten minutes later the mother hens came up to my desk and when they found out what the nurse had said, they almost drove me to the hospital themselves!

This is about the time that I called Scott at work to fill him in. I think he was a little in shock. And I definitely gave the disclaimer that I was not super convinced "this was it". I asked him to swing by the house and pick up the car seat and our hospital bag and meet me at the triage area. I packed up my things at work, said my goodbyes and headed to the hospital.

When I checked in with the nurse I also told her that I felt silly and had been coerced into going in. I was pretty sure they were going to be sending me home. So I got hooked up the monitors, Scott made it a little later, and I filled in the nurse as to the symptoms I was having. She didn't seem too convinced either but decided to test for amniotic fluid. Scott and I talked about me taking the rest of the day off and him heading back to finish up at work when she came in to let us know that the test was "slightly positive". Apparently any positive is a positive and is a sign that your water bag is at least leaking. She let us know that we would be moved to labor and delivery. I'm sorry, what does that mean...I was a little confused. She said that means you are not leaving here without your baby! Scott and I looked at each other and I think we both stopped breathing for a minute.

We got settled in to our new room, went for a walk, took some pictures, and Scott ran home to change out of his dress clothes. While he was gone the nurse was checking to see how dilated I was and accidentally broke my water bag and thus began the next ten hours of laboring. I actually felt pretty good most of the time. My contractions were really close together and progressing pretty well. I kept being a little too tough though and by the time I wanted my epidural it took them an HOUR to get it to me. Not cool. At this point I was in a ton of pain and saying some serious expletives in my head. I only said one swear word out loud and it was about the nurse...but not to her face...so I thought that was pretty good.

I only had to push for about 45 minutes. But it really was not even that long because we kept taking breaks and then things looked pretty close so the nurse had me stop and wait for the doctor to get there. One thing I learned is that I stink at holding my breath. Nobody prepared me for that. I had no idea that I would have to push in series of three, taking a deep breath and then pushing for eight seconds at a time (with a nurse who was the slowest counter ever, I might add). I never made it through all three, I never even made it through round two of the three. Basically you will not see me signing up for a breath holding contest anytime soon!

But at 12:15 on Thursday, January 27th our little Beckett Scott was born. All 8 pounds 5 ounces of him. Totally cute and perfect with lots of light brown hair. I still can't believe it was a week ago that he made it here. And on his own terms. No inducing drugs for me, he wanted to call the shots. And believe me, he is still calling the shots!

We are loving our little family of three, and loving that my mom is here to help us with the transition! Thanks so much for all your calls, texts, and visits. Sorry if you feel neglected. I have been busy feeding, changing, feeding, changing...you get the idea! :)

Sorry the pictures are all over the place...gotta love technology!


Just the Beginning...Not really sure what we
are geting ourselves into at this point...















































































































































































18 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats! Glad to hear everything went well with the delivery. Babies are so much fun. A lot of work and no sleep but so cute and snuggly! And he is adorable with all of his dark hair!

Anonymous said...

I can't not wait to meet this beautiful baby. I love him so much already. Don't feel like you are neglecting anyone, we all just want to make sure you don't feel neglected. I love you and you look incrediable. Can't wait to see you.

Rae said...

Kirby, he is PERFECT!! He is so beautiful--congratulations!

megan said...

Beckett is already such a handsome little man! I can't wait to hold him. Can we arrange a marriage with him and Rowan?

Bridget said...

Yay! I'm SO happy that Beckett is here and healthy and you're good and your mama is home! Beckett is adorable and I am totally sending him little Japanese clothes that don't look japanesey but are super cute! I love you Kirb and am so happy for you guys!

Suzy Hicks said...

Aww, he is so cute Kirby. I love the picture of him sitting in his car seat with his binky with a full on faux hawk. What a stylin' dude. Thanks for the whole scoop, it was fun to read. I'm so happy for you and can't wait to meet Beckett! Congrats:)

carol said...

Kirby and Scott he is beautiful.
Seriously one good looking little guy.
Glad to here everything went well.
love to you
Carol
Jaime and Tyler
Derek and Liz

Michelle and Tyler said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful family! Those first few weeks are so incredible! Eat them right up and try to write as much down as possible :) I'm so glad things went well and you guys look so happy!

Julia said...

What an adorable little boy! I'm so glad things went so well and now you can enjoy these precious first few weeks at home. Hold him all the time. You can never spoil a baby..and he'll be bigger tomorrow. Congrats!

Brittany Simmons said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Loved the play by play. That sounds a lot like mine when I had Teddy! Glad it was a fairly good/easy delivery and that you didn't end up having a 10 pound baby :) He is perfect- and you both look like natural parents already!

Audrey Crisp said...

CONGRATS! What a stud! He's just so cute and perfect! Glad you and baby are doing well! CAn't wait to see more pics of the little dude!

Carrie & Dustin Nicholes said...

Your little boy is adorable and you look beautiful! Congrats. :)

Lacey said...

Congratulations! he is so handsome, and i LOVE his name! and you look incredible! what a cute family!

Shelby said...

AHHH!!! You didn't even tell me you updated! he is so perfect and you and Scott and naturals. He is seriously so dang cute. Can't wait to see you in about 7 weeks and counting. Don't let him change or grow or anything until I get there. :) Love you guys so much. Give mom a hug for me.

Rachel said...

Congrats you two! He is beautiful!

Amanda said...

Love that I got to hear the story firsthand from you, but it's great to see more pictures of the little guy. He's so cute! Now, more pictures please?!

vanessa said...

oh my gosh girl, i've never seen anyone looks so perfect going into labor! and no wonder you baby is beautiful! quiet the good looking parents you are. so happy for you!

Rusty & Georgia Henrichsen said...

I know he is a big guy, but he looks lost inside that car seat. Can't wait to see him (and you and Scott, as well) in the flesh

Love,

Rusty/Grandpa