Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back to School..

Scott started school this week and is feeling a little overwhelmed to say the least. The first day of class was pretty rough. He said he understood about 1/3 of what was going on. It takes a lot more consentration when the lecture is in a foreign language. He said whenever the teacher would move around the room or someone would make a lot of noise it would throw him off a little. Luckily the second day was easier, and I am sure it will just continue to get more comfortable for him. Also I just have to add that everywhere we go he gets complimented on his Spanish speaking skills. He could definitely pass as a native. Although one lady who complimented him yesterday was sure he was French. I got a kick out of that because he is always teasing me about the ¨dirty Frenchies¨, who knew people actually thought he was one!



My Spanish on the other hand is still pretty lame. I have picked up on a few words but I have a really hard time not pronouncing them with a French accent. I am really wishing I had taken a few Spanish classes in highschool that´s for sure! The people have been really helpful though. I ventured out on my own the other day and I had to ask for some directions...side note here...Everywhere we go Scott and Brad think they can figure out exactly where we need to be even though there are a ton of tiny streets and none of us have navigated them before. So here I am the only one of the group that does not speak Spanish saying, ¨Hey I have an idea, you speak Spanish...all these people around us are from Spain...why don´t you ask them where this street is...¨, ten minutes later..still looking for the street on our own.. Okay so back to my story. I have no problem asking for directions. Even if that means I have to ask several times before I actually get there. The point is I always get where I need to go! The people I talked to were so sweet, none of them spoke English but it is amazing what a few little hand signals can do for you!



And the biggest news is that we finally found an apartment! It only took us a week of staying in a super fun bunk-bed filled bedroom with another couple and a one year old suffering from serious jet lag...but we made it! We opted for sharing an apartment with our friends because it will save us about $1500. We decided to sacrifice some personal convienences for some extra travel money. I think it will be worth it. Now that we have taken care of the living situation we should be able to get out and enjoy this fun city. I have pictures from our travels thus far, including the hostel, and I will take some of our new apartment. So just you wait. We will not have internet in our apartment but I will get some pictures on our computer this weekend so you can see what we have been up to. I´m off to go move into my new apartment, oh it´s on the fifth floor...that should be fun with all six of our over packed bags! Gotta love old European apartments! ¡Adios!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so dang cute and optimistic! I'm so happy and proud of you. I love Barcelona so much and would give anything to be venturing out with you. Probably would'nt even compare to Lancaster, but I'm sure we would survive!!! Hope things continue to get better each day. Tell Scott we are cheering for him and will keep him in our prayers! Love to you both-

Celeste said...

I'm glad Scott is getting used to the lectures! Holy cow! And I agree, sacrificing some personal conveniences for some extra traveling money! Heck yes. I can't wait to see pictures of you guys. Post them soon! We already miss you guys like crazy. Law School here at ASU just isn't the same without you guys!

Have fun and keep us updated! Love you guys.

Bridget said...

You're so funny! I can totally picture the NOT asking for directions bit. I can't wait to see pictures!

Amanda said...

I so wish that I could come and visit you in Spain. I loved traveling with you and your gutsy ways. Never had a problem borrowing strangers cell phones in a foreign country. You can sure fend for yourself out there. Now go and have fun with that extra $1,500!

Ryan Smart said...

Tell Scott it only gets easier "Vale?" I can't imagine law school however!!! Can't wait to see pics of your new place!!! Glad you are having fun!

Georgia Fish Henrichsen said...

Great to hear that things are moving ahead. I know that I would be confused in class even in English.

Directions - I know that standing on the street in NYC, looking confused, especially if I have a map or brochure in my hand, invariably one of the "unfriendly" New Yorkers will ask if they can help me find something. (This doesn't work in Washington, DC.) Maybe you can try this in Espana.

Rusty

Rusty & Georgia Henrichsen said...

kirby, thanks for the updates! We're hanging on every word!

Rusty & Georgia Henrichsen said...

Hi, this is a test. we're having trouble posting.

Mikelle said...

How exciting! I'm so glad you found a place to live. I cant imagine how frustrated I would be not understanding what people are saying. Anywho what do you think about the "Bachelor?" That's all I've got going on over here!