Saturday, January 3, 2009

¡Hola!

Okay so we made it to Barcelona! It was a VERY long day of traveling. We flew from Phoenix to Philadelphia...stayed for a few hours and then flew to Munich where we had a 10 hour layover, that´s right no type-o there, a 10 hour layover. We decided to make the most of the time there and head into the city. We went to a few cathedrals, did a little window shopping (emphasis on the window...it is embarassing how much stuff we brought with us, we´re in no position to be adding on to our baggage), and got a brautwurst. It was a fun city, we would have spent more time exploring but we had a few things working against us. The first was the lack of sleep we had had during our long day of flights, and the second was the drastic change in temperature. We came from seventy degree weather to less than thirty degrees, yikes!! We had brought our coats and dressed warm but still felt unprepared for the freezing cold. We went back to the airport and slept for a little bit before our last leg to Barcelona. After getting all six of our bags, ridiculous I know, on the two trains and up and down all the train station stairs...we made it to our hostel at about one in the morning.

We spent the day today touring our new city, looking for an apartment, and testing some of the local food. We had some successes... we went to the beach, saw awesome architecture, and ate yummy food(nothing too exciting yet though, we are talking bread, ham, and cheese mostly and it´s hard to mess those up!). And we also had some not such successes... we still do not have a place to live. This is really nothing new to most of you who know me. I´m pretty sure I never had a place to live while at BYU until after I got there. We did go to see an apartment that we had found online that we liked today. After looking around the apartment and getting excited that it could be the one we found out the owner was looking for a minimum lease of six months and was not willing to negotiate...awesome! I´m sure we will find a great little apartment and I´m just glad that our hostel has a private bathroom, hot water, and computers... who knows we may be staying here all semester!

Sorry no pictures yet but I have taken some so I will post those as soon as a get a chance. We hope you are all doing well and I will continue to keep you posted while we are on this crazy Spanish adventure. ¡Adios!

11 comments:

Bridget said...

Yay! I'm so glad you guys made it safe and sound. What a long day of traveling! Having a hostel with your own bathroom makes a HUGE difference. I'm so excited to read more about your adventures! You guys are going to have an amazing time and create memories that will last a lifetime!

Tyson said...

Crazy times. We are in Paris now and wanted to head down to Barcelona but it is $$$. If we could ever align our schedules to be in the city I'm sure we'd end up being best friends because it seems that we are peas in a pod! Enjoy Barcelona and someday we will find each other in this crazy world!

Anonymous said...

I'm not even kidding when I tell you I got a little teary as I was reading your post. I am so glad you finally are there. It seems so crazy!!!! I miss you tons already and we did'nt even live near each other, but I am losing all phone privilages and complaining via emal just is'nt the same. Good luck finding a place to live, and no I am not surprised at your luck thus far. We are thinking of you both daily and are in our prayers. We love you both so much-
The Richesons

Shelby said...

HIIIII!!! I am so glad that you made it. What adventures are ahead of you guys. I wish I could be there with you. The house thing will come. Stay patient and the hostal does not sound that bad. I love you more than you know and am so proud of you both for never being afraid to try and DO anything. What a great example you are and how lucky I am to have you as my sister. I miss you, pray for you both, and never have a moment you are not in my heart. Love you sis, more later.
Shelb.

Jacque Munns said...

I got mom on here. We couldn't leave a comment before without her having an account. We love you both so much and cannot wait to hear more and more as your adventures continue!

Katie Torriente: said...

I can't wait to hear all about your adventures in spain. You need to go see the Alhambra! I hear it is Amazing! Hope you had a merry Christmas! love ya!

Brittany Simmons said...

SO FUN!!! I didn't realize you were leaving already! I'm so sorry about your loss and hope you will be able to stay positive with this new adventure ahead of you. I'll definitely keeping posted!

Spencer & Emily said...

SO FUN! seriously can you post more pictures. i want to see what it all looks like. For those who are not army brats we get to live vicariously through your crazy adventures. p.s. did you color it yet?

longnecker said...

Kirby,

Hi there - I found your blog and am so excited to keep up with all your adventures! Good luck - we love you.

Candi

Ryan Smart said...

I am so glad you made it! Oh my gosh...I didn't realize you had such a terrible flight arrangement over there. Can you imagine doing that with a baby? Yikes! What are we doing? I am glad though that you are enjoying the exploring and I hope to see pics to get me excited. Good luck with the apt searching! Hopefully there is one out there!

Erica

Lisha said...

I'm glad you made it. I hope you get a nice place to stay soon. Thanks for the yummy hot chocolate and out to dinner coupons. I am so glad you could stay at our house while you were in the middle of moving, but you didn't have to do that. You guys are so nice. I miss you already! I hope we can seriously stay in touch. I really want to! Love you!