Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Weekend Exploring

So apparently Barcelona has amazing architecture everywhere you go. We have been able to do a lot of exploring this last week and have been pretty blown away by some of the places we have found. Sorry I have been such a lame blogger. It is pretty hard when you don't have the internet at your house. So here is a little update of some of the places we have been.

This is the Poble Espanyol. It is basically a reproduction of various Spanish villages from allover the country. The highlight of our visit was the glass blowing area. The two men working there were amazing. We watched as one of them made a horse out of a tiny ball of glass... amazing.  There was also a contemporary art exhibit that was really cool. It was a unique place, not quite what we were expecting, but neat to see nonetheless.

We explored the beach area that is by our house. There is a huge mall that was very tempting. You will all be surprised to hear that I have been to H&M, Mango, and Zara and purchased nothing. It has taken great strength, and a husband who refuses to give me any money...but I have made it through so far. It´s awesome to be living so close to the Mediteranean.

The highlight thus far has been Park Guëll. It is a Park that Antoni Gaudi constructed and it is amazing. Scott could not get over all the columns and archways. We spent all afternoon there and took a TON of pictures.

This is outside our church building. It is quite the hike to get here. Don´t worry that it is hard enough to pay attention to all three hours of churh regularly...try doing it when you do not understand a single thing they are saying. The first Sunday I was so confused because in Sunday school the teacher had "El Salvador" written on the board. My dad used to live there and I did not really see the relavence of the country to our lesson. Well those of you Spanish speakers can go ahead and stop laughing...apparently that is how you say "The Savior"...good to know.

We are really enjoying being here. Spain is an amazing country. Scott is making lots of Spanish friends in his classes. I am always so proud when he comes home and tells me he made some friends. He continues to struggle to understand one of his professors who mumbles and speaks really fast but that is why I keep urging him to make new friends. Hello, study groups! We miss all our family and friends but are so grateful for this adventure we are having. Pictures of our apartment and surrounding area to come. 

9 comments:

Celeste said...

That is some amazing architecture. You guys look great! I hope I can go there one day!

Who knew there is an H&M in Barcelona?

Lisha said...

Fantastic pictures! Keep them coming!:)

mom of fab five said...

Looks like fun---Jordyn lost your e-mail address but wanted to let you know that she is off to Africa this summer for a month--she found out last week. If you get a chance she would love to e-mail you-
sondrupclan@msn.com

Leigh Ann

Amanda said...

That's where the finale to America's Next Top Model took place when they went to Spain a couple seasons back. Sad to say that I know that tidbit of info. I'm jealous of all your adventures. I can totally picture you not understanding the language in Church. It's basically a deja vu experience from France 5 years ago!

Shelby said...

YEAH!!!! Hola! I MISS YOU SO MUCH AND I HATE HATE HATE THAT WE CAN"T TALK ON THE PHONE. We need a plan when I can call you. I can get a phone card and we can visit. I love the pics, I was laughing so hard about the El Salvador, I love the areas you are visiting, you both look AMAZING and I can't wait for you to get back. Love you sister. Tell Scott hello for me too.

Ryan Smart said...

Yeah! I am glad you are out exploring! Looks like you've found some pretty cool places so far! You both will be so much better with your Spanish when you come back. It looks cold!
Erica

Anonymous said...

I love every post that you put on here about your adventures. Nothing will ever compare to talking to you though...thanks for thinking of me...I love you to pieces. Anyway, you and Scott look so happy and really to seem to be getting the hang of things. I told him on facebook that it is so annoying how hot you too are in all your pictures. I am so glad you are enjoying all the fun tourist attrations in Spain! Hopefully it will warm up and you can enjoy the beach soon. We love you both

lauren ann said...

so jealous! looks amazing

Kimberley said...

What a blast! I don't know if you will ever settle down! It must be your military roots!