Friday, April 17, 2009

The Alhambra (Granada, April 3rd)

Warning: Scott's first post.

I have wanted to go to Granada to see the Alhambra ever since I learned about it in my middle school spanish class. So, we made sure to see it before leaving Spain. While we were in Sevilla we took a day trip to Granada. Because of our time limitations we could really only spend a day there, and after travel time we only had about 6 hours there. We probably spent more time on the bus that day than we did in Granada.  The Alhambra is an ancient Muslim palace. It was really interesting to see the Islamic art and architectural styles in Spain when we were so used to seeing gothic and romanesque styles.  In one of our travel books it says "You haven't lived if you die without seeing the Alhambra." Mission accomplished! It was a very unique experience and well worth the trip.

Details like these were all over the Alhambra.
A very good example of the Islamic style. The stucco details and the tile mosaic.
I think these Islamic style arches are so cool.


Giant doors from the Palace of Carlos V. When the Christians conquered the Muslims, King Carlos V built his own palace on the Alhambra grounds.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Way to go Scott! You are a regular! Again I love the pictures but even from the pictures you can tell that the other place looks just as cool or cooler. Did you love the flamico show? Should we have gone? Way to go on keep up on the posts by the way. i think you do better over there than you did here!

Kimberley said...

Oh my, I remember going there when we picked up my brother from his mission when I was 10, it seems like a dream now. I'm so glad you are having such a great time!

Celeste said...

Wow, that place is awesome! You guys look great. Seriously, I can't believe your semester there is over already! Where did the time go?

We've been missing you guys like crazy. When do you get back to AZ? Love you guys and have more fun!

Shelby said...

Great job you two!! When are you coming back?? I miss you and am ready to hear your voices and hug you and see you and hear about everything you have been up. The pictures are amazing and what an adventure. This is a time in your life that will go down in the history books. Have a blast and stay safe. talk to you soon. LOVE YOU!